Saturday, September 09, 2006

Do you lie?

Do you lie? … What are you thinking of? Most of us do, including me. (Though not always). Some situations compel me to lie. Like if I am in no position to say “No” to someone but at same time I don’t want to do what he/she is insisting, I lie, to get out of that situation. I don’t enjoy doing that. I will call it “self induced, forced lying”, (Don’t blindly assume that this quote is having a deep philosophical meaning or don’t try to justify it. This term just came in my mind, may be a stupid or may be logical, whatever. I propose this as a new category of liars). I relate “Self induced, forced lying” to the lazy or weak or super humble nature. I am more of lazy (when it comes to dealing with my friends, in fact I am lazy (moody) at everything) and bit of super humble (when I deal with elders or strangers). I seldom lie to my parents but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I am strong enough to confess my misdoing. I behave “near perfect” and don’t get into situations where I have to lie. I play safe ;) But if I get embroiled in misdoings, many a time, sadly, I lie. It is hard to remain perfect with everyone, I mean you cannot make everyone happy, some point of time you start thinking of yourself, you tend to become self centric. Being self centric and super humble at same time is a sorry situation. You have no option other than bowing down or lying.

I have come across few really amazing people. They never lie, at least not in front of me (And I don’t lie them). They are fearless; they don’t shy to say “No”, no matter to whom they have to, they are people with strong personality. I really love, admire these people. According to me the best way to choose your friends/partners is not to see if they are true to you but to see if they are true to ‘Others’. Let us categorize this ‘Others’. At bottom of the ladder sit parents, then close relatives (genuine closeness & not inherited closeness). After that, friends then relatives (inherited) and on top of the ladder sit strangers. Let us call it ‘Ladder of truthfulness’. A partner/friend you are looking for should at least be true to his/her parents. The more he/she goes up on ‘Ladder of truthfulness’ the more ideal person he is. But before desiring such people you should apply this ladder test on yourself. “Don’t desire if you don’t deserve”. I find my climb shaky from 1st step itself, 95 times, out of hundred, I am true to my parents. Not good enough. Rachel, in one of the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. episode said (to Ross) “Once a cheater always a cheater”, its true. But honestly, I am striving to achieve 100%.

I really really hate people who lie (hating others is also sign of a weak personality, but then I will be sitting next to god if I stop hating each and every person) but sometimes I find my self in same situation. I am trying hard not to get into that so that I can wholeheartedly hate such people. “Lage Raho Munna Bhai” acted as catalyst to these beliefs. I saw it twice because I was not able to understand it properly. Good job Mr Rajkumar Hirani. I never hated Gandhiji but at same time he was not my hero. After watching this movie I have developed kind of respect for him. His single point formula to succeed in life was quite simple, “Speak Truth”. I think this is a master key to all problems in life, at same time toughest thing to do. Other things like “Hard Work”, “Dedication” etc etc are derivatives of this virtue (virtue of truthfulness). You need to be strong to speak truth; if you are true to yourself you will readily realize/accept your mistakes, your weaknesses. Once you realize them you will definitely strive to correct them and Bingo! Suddenly you will realize that you are doing “Hard Work” with “Dedication” to achieve your goals that will give you feeling of satisfaction. Your personal satisfaction will make you more confident which will make you a charming or even amazing person. See! Just by being true to yourself you have become a charming person. Now why do we lie others? There may be many reasons. I won’t list them here. But in a nutshell, reason of lying is that either we like but fear them or we don’t like but are still dependent on them. Speaking truth in former case will make you fearless. Initially you will be at receiving end but gradually you will end up winning them. Speaking truth in later case will make you strong and independent. Why do you need people you don’t like? Be strong enough to shun them. (Now this thing is hard to do when you are humble in nature, this is a case with me ;) )

Now you might be wondering from where I learned this. No I didn’t read any “Do not lie” book. This is what I have observed from my surroundings. I am privileged to have company of some wonderful people who unintentionally made me realize this. These are just thoughts that are making rounds in my mind for a while, I am not necessarily practicing each and every thing I mentioned, but honestly, I intend to. I am at 25 and intend to carry my self till 75 (at least). I still have 50 years to learn. So there will be revisions to my beliefs that I stated above (I hope core remains same). So don’t blindly believe or oppose what I have written. Try reasoning it. And discuss it. All suggestions/appreciations/criticism are welcomed.

And guys, Have you heard of ‘sitemeter’? Scroll bottom and you will see one counter. This counter not only gives me the number of visits but it also gives me loads of details of that visit. With small readership my blog has, I can very surely guess who had visited my blog. Now if you go out without dropping comment I will catch you. So please comment dude! It makes me happy.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

comment

Unknown said...

was kidding in my prev comment..

there is so much to say on this blog of urs.. but i will talk about lying only.
u r rt.. one shud not lie.. specially to parents, close ones.. etc..
but i would not make it a rule.. lying for good is better than speaking truth..

to make ppl aware of truth is necessary but when to speak truth is also important..

and yes.. "lago raho munna bhai" is a good movie :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Nice blog !!!
And yoy have reffered to me so many times as AMAZING PEOPLE who are around u thanks man ha ha ha :))
But u know what i dont lie around 99 times in a 100, the one i have to sometimes only because its better for someone else, I have never lied for myself....
And i also hate liars, because i hate the sin and the sinner equally,,,,especially i have seen people who lie so much that they can even lie to win a petty argument, i just hate such people...
But the worst type of lying is lying to urself,and sometimes you have to do it in your life,,
Have you ever lied to yourself ???

Anonymous said...

Well to add one of my recent experience, i dont know but i always expect some selected people to be true to me as i m to them..
A few days back a strange sense of deception was going thru my mind,well i m still not sure, but at that time i had a feeling that a very close and one of the best friend of mine was lying to me,...it was a rare bad kind of a feeling,i tried my best to figure out what was the reality, but i wasnt able to,
As you said,i think i am totally correct and its fair on my part to expect that person to be true to me, isnt itt ??
But at last since i am very true to that person i finally assumed that he is not lying??
But i dont know that this speaking the truth wala funda is not making a fool of myself through my own hands ?? Waht u say man ??

Anonymous said...

Arrey how can i forget about you watching the movie second time, ya i know that , when and how u saw that movie...ha ha ha

Mayur Thakare said...

nayyar >> Have you ever lied to yourself ???
I don't think so, but then I am not realistic at a times. Is being not realist means that I am lying to myself??

nayyar >> As you said,i think i am totally correct and its fair on my part to expect that person to be true to me, isnt itt ??
I would not expect anything from anybody, no matter how close he/she is. Atleast I havent met anyone from whom I can expect. Cos if these people ditch u, its very painful. Wat say?

nayyar >> But i dont know that this speaking the truth wala funda is not making a fool of myself through my own hands ?? Waht u say man ??
U said he/SHE is a close friend of u? then by not solving ur doubts with him/HER are't u lying him/HER. Speak out. And if u can't don't expect anything from him/HER. And u become fool only if u think u r.
(by the way may I know that person's name, Ofcourse not here)

Mayur Thakare said...

to nayyar >>> And who told u that I was reffering u or only u when I said AMAZING PEOPLE. There may be many right.

Anonymous said...

"then by not solving ur doubts with him/HER are't u lying him/HER. Speak out"
I have spoken to him man, and all that he said, i agreed upon that assuming he is not lying.You know me, i believe in speaking out, i do taht all the time...
"Cos if these people ditch u, its very painful. Wat say?"
So just for the fear of getting dicthed and the pain after taht how can you stop expecting things from neone, If everyone will think like that DO NOT EXPECT ANYTHING FROM ANYONE, then there will be nothing called emotions, and all realtions will be void....
This is really sad,,,,
Its sound great but its implementation is disturbing and too sad,..Neways ur view man...ur thinking..
But i do expect from you not to open your mouth :))

"Is being not realist means that I am lying to myself??"
Not exactly...and you know we never realise that we are lying to oursleves its only after a long period of time when we look back we realise that Oh What did i do ! ! !
"Atleast I havent met anyone from whom I can expect"...
Its becoz you have decided that you will not expect nething from neone...That is the reason you never tell aneone whats on ur mind..
And Man, you should have atleast one such person, Mom, Galfrnd, Wife,Friend with whome you can share somehting and Expect many thngs..
Just try once if you are expecting ten things from a person, and nine gives you pain, the only single one which you get will give you such a happiness that pain of teh other nine will be really really negligible and nowhere with you ...

"(by the way may I know that person's name, Ofcourse not here)"

Human mentality is like that only if thers a thing which you are curious to know, you will relate ne thing or everything with that only...
So no fault of yours...
coz u saying u dont expect anything from anyone is a big lie, and man you do , just think once, you do expect things frm ppl arnd you, nad thats y i askes have u ever lied to someone :-|
"to nayyar >>> And who told u that I was reffering u or only u when I said AMAZING PEOPLE. There may be many right."
There might be many but i am the one , dont lie plzzz :))